Court Dates Set For Men Charged In Dresden Shootout


DRESDEN (July 15) — Court dates are set for two Dresden men arrested in connection with a shooting that sent a 17-year-old female to the hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound.

One of the alleged shooters, Cody W. Brown, 19, who resides on Broad Street in Dresden, is charged with aggravated assault, reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon and possession of a weapon by a convicted felon.

Brown was arrested by Dresden Police around 4:30 p.m. Monday July 13, at a Dresden residence without incident. He was arraigned in Weakley County General Sessions Court Wednesday, July 15. During his court appearance, Judge Tommy Moore set Brown’s preliminary hearing for Wednesday, July 29, and ordered the defendant to be held without bond.

A second man charged in connection with the shooting, Bobby Ellis Dickens, 41, of Westbrook Lane in Dresden, faces charges of aggravated assault and reckless endangerment with a deadly weapon.

Dresden Police arrested Dickens July 7.

During Dickens’ arraignment on Wednesday, July 8, the defendant was ordered to appear in Weakley County General Sessions Court Wednesday, August 5, 2020 for his preliminary hearing, and his bond is set at $1,000.

According to Interim Dresden Police Chief Chris Crocker, a witness at the scene reported when Dickens drove his Ford Ranger pickup in front of Brown’s house on Broad Street, Dickens pointed a firearm equipped with a green laser at Brown and others in the yard, causing Brown to shoot. Brown admitted he fired a handgun, but said he was acting in self defense, according to Crocker.

Chief Crocker says the vehicle, which was occupied by Dickens and his three passengers, was shot approximately three times while at the Broad Street residence. During the shooting, a 17-year-old juvenile female seated in the bed of the truck, was reportedly shot in the buttocks area with a single round. He notes the gunshot victim was airlifted to Le Bonheur Children’s Medical Center in Memphis for evaluation and treatment of her injuries. Chief Crocker said the victim was released from the hospital the next day and is recovering.

The two other female passengers in the truck were reportedly unharmed.

According to a court affidavit, the incident was sparked by a verbal altercation over the phone between the occupants of the truck and Brown that escalated to threats of violence. Brown allegedly told Dickens there would be a “pistol fight” if he came to his location.

The affidavit states Brown shot at Dickens and the others in his vehicle multiple times, and Dickens, who was also armed, discharged his firearm during the shooting.