DRESDEN F.D. EXTINGUISHES SUMMERS ROAD FIRE

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dresden firefighters recently extinguished an early morning blaze that ignited inside a rural residence just south of Dresden.

 

 

 

An early morning fire at a rural Weakley County home caused thousands of dollars in damages, but fortunately, the occupants escaped with their lives.

 

According to Dresden Fire Chief Paul Hutcherson, at approximately 2:16 a.m., Wednesday, February 13, the Dresden Fire Department responded to a structure fire at 797 Summers Road, after receiving a call that a mattress had caught fire inside the residence.  However, while Dresden fire engine companies were en route, the 911 dispatcher notified the firefighters that the caller reported the home was now fully involved.

 

Weakley County Municipal Electric System and Weakley County EMS personnel were also dispatched to the scene. When they arrived, WCMES secured the utilities and WCEMS checked out all occupants of the structure. Additionally, Weakley County Sheriff’s deputies and Dresden Police officers offered their assistance during the emergency.

 

Chief Hutcherson and Deputy Chief Kory Green were among the 14 firefighters that extinguished the blaze utilizing six pieces of firefighting equipment.

 

Green stated that he noticed the single-story dwelling had heavy fire and smoke coming from the back side of the structure.

 

One of the three adult occupants that had been inside the home when the fire ignited met Deputy Chief Green in the driveway and stated that everyone was out of the building. However, in keeping with protocol, the home was checked to see if anyone was inside the building.

 

Firefighters used their water hoses to spray the flames inside the home through the bedroom window where the fire ignited.

 

Once firefighters cooled down the interior of the bedroom, a three-person team entered through a door on the right side of the residence and initiated an internal attack. They extinguished the flames in the bedroom and the attic area above it.

 

“They did not have functioning smoke alarms at the time of the fire,” said Chief Hutcherson.

 

Fortunately, Justin Hoskins, who was renting the residence, was alerted to the fire by the smoke and popping sound of the blaze. He woke the other two occupants and got them out of the burning building unharmed. In the process of doing so, Hoskins received minor burns to his hands and possibility suffered smoke inhalation. He was checked out by Weakley County EMS emergency medical technicians. Once EMS left the scene, Hoskins was transported by private vehicle to the emergency room at West Tennessee Healthcare Volunteer Hospital in Martin, where he was examined and treated by a doctor.

 

“We were able to save the structure in that everything was still standing,” Chief Hutcherson said. “But, there was extensive fire damage in the room of origin, and water and smoke damage throughout the residence.”

 

It is estimated there was $30,000 in property damage and $20,000 in damage to the contents, which amounts to $50,000 in total losses.

 

The fire has been ruled accidental.

 

The property is owned by Phyllis Fhaner, who also resides on Summers Road.

 

 

 

Leave a Comment