Chemical spill leads to evacuation of Rural King and Cine Theater

According to Martin Fire Chief Jamie Summers, a call reporting a chemical spill at Rural King, located in University Plaza in Martin, was received Friday night, and an all-call was issued for firefighters, who were dispatched to the scene.

Chief Summers stated that a pallet load of swimming pool shock, which contains chlorine, fell while being unloaded off a truck.

A container burst open and spilled the chemical all over the floor, which filled the air with a strong odor of bleach.

The spilled chlorine later exploded after coming into contact with an unidentified chemical in the vicinity of the spill.

(See complete story in June 7th issue of the Dresden Enterprise.)

 

 

 

Leave a Comment